Creating convergence through topical relevance and links is an extremely powerful SEO technique. In other words, clearly delineating a preferred landing page or champion page to represent specific keywords sends a clear signal to search engines which pages should rank for distinct keyword variations.
In specific, concentrating internal links and external links on a page by page basis creates a unique online signature. Through deliberately earmarking specific pages in a website, then augmenting it’s on page and off page profile, over time that page crosses a tipping point and ranks for related synonyms and other pertinent keyword clusters.
It is typical to jump over the 900 loosely optimized sites for a given keyword or key phrase cluster on the way to the top 10, however, once a page gets into the top 100 results for a given keyword or phrase, the requirements to breach the top results requires a bit more tact.
First, you must consider, what are some of the primary ranking factors responsible for top 5 search engine rankings in search engines? You are competing with metrics such as:
- Aged sites who have an excess of authority that when an escape hatch is found “like a new topic” can catapult a keyword or cluster of keywords to the top 10 in a matter of minutes. We dub this “ranking credit” that can’t be spent on any other keyword or site segment.
- Sites with a collective array of internal links that link to a page with “exact match” or “broad match” keywords or key phrases.
- Sites with a high concentration of links from a variety of IP addresses over time, through syndication, article marketing, RSS feeds, directories, etc.
- Sites with trusted deep links to specific landing pages or site segments “sub folders or sub domains” that solidify other similar metrics in search engines. Specifically do-follow .edu or .gov links that have corresponding anchor text to support your preferred keywords. Even without the preferred anchor text, the amount of trust sites like these pass along is immense.
So, how do you compete?
- Use co-occurrence – every time a keyword occurs contextually, link it contextually to the preferred landing page.
- Get at least 5-10 deep links from other websites to THAT page. This alone can separate your site from other websites targeting the same terms, since most websites rely on their home page for rankings. Then add deep links over time *(by managing the page and inbound anchor text using an xls spreadsheet). You can also reference your websites deep link ratio in contrast to competitors.
- Add topical content on a regular basis to reinforce your theme by using keywords that correspond with your champion page. Linking fresh content to aged content (and vice versa) can resuscitate a website and provide dynamic ranking factor in addition to keyword stemming.
The more competitive the keyword, the more time and or authority you will need to overcome the next competitors relevance score. Since it is a moving metric, the rate in which your site and / or pages and your competitors exhibits this relevance will be obvious based on if your rankings stagnate and receded or improve based on the right mixture of variables.
Before you look outside your own website, remember, you have 100% complete control over how you link to your own pages (from page to page). That alone when you combine the tactic of adding deep links tactfully can elevate authority and then turn each page into a surplus of ranking factor which you can apply “as ranking credit” to other critical areas you deem worthy.
The first step is to segment your pages so that your pricing pages rank for pricing queries, your product pages rank for model numbers, brands or other pertinent information. After that, you can target new landing page / keyword combinations from following the internal and external link congruence like the method outlined above.
We hope you have found these SEO Tips useful. If you haven’t already, feel free to subscribe to the SEO Design Solutions RSS feed for additional SEO Tips and Tactics or download our Free SEO WordPress Themes or SEO Ultimate WordPress Plugin.
The original post: SEO Design Solutions