This seemingly-simple setting fills a gap in WordPress’s built-in canonicalization functionality: for example, if a URL request is made for page 6 of a category archive, and that category doesn’t have a page 6, WordPress by default will generate a normal status code 200 page instead of issuing 404 or 301 headers (thus creating two or more identical webpages).
This duplicate-content situation can happen when you, for example, remove many posts from a category, which reduces the amount of subpages needed to show all the posts in the category, thus turning those extraneous subpages into duplicate-content URLs.
The new Canonicalizer feature in SEO Ultimate 1.0 fixes this WordPress problem by issuing 301 redirects to page 1 of the paginated section in question.
This hands-free checkbox-toggled feature allows you to alter your site’s taxonomy structure without having to worry about creating dead-end indexed pages. So far, we haven’t found this useful feature in any other WordPress SEO plugin.
After installing SEO Ultimate or upgrading to version 1.0, all you have to do to enable the plugin’s canonicalization features is go to the “Canonicalizer” module under the “SEO” menu, make sure both boxes are checked, and then click “Save Changes.”
Also, webmasters with stringent database load requirements will be happy to know that SEO Ultimate 1.0 drastically reduces database writes and space usage. There’s even a new feature in the Plugin Settings section that can disable SEO Ultimate’s database-write-heavy components entirely and allow the plugin to run on the front-end off of just one settings row in WordPress’s options table.
With version 1.0, SEO Ultimate now also accommodates users of the “Changelogger” plugin (by not showing a second inline changelog when Changelogger is enabled) and the “Ozh Admin Drop Down Menu” plugin (by registering an icon for the plugin’s admin section).
Additional Modifications for SEO Ultimate Version 1.0
- Feature: Canonicalizer can now redirect requests for nonexistent pagination
- Feature: Visitor logging can now be disabled completely from the Plugin Settings page
- Feature: Logged visitor information can now be automatically deleted after a certain number of days
- Feature: Added icon support for the Ozh Admin Drop Down Menu plugin
- Bugfix: 404 Monitor notification count now consistent with new errors shown
- Improvement: Canonicalizer now removes the duplicate canonical tags produced by the WordPress 2.9 Trunk
- Improvement: Inline changelogs now won’t display if the Changelogger plugin is activated
- Improvement: SEO Ultimate now selectively logs visitors based on which modules are enabled
With a new duplicate-content-fighting feature, speed/efficiency improvements, and under-the-hood tweaks, SEO Ultimate 1.0 is a fine-tuned upgrade to an already-powerful WordPress SEO plugin. Feel free to Download SEO Ultimate directly from WordPress or view additional information on our plugin information page.
Original post here: SEO Design Solutions